Research Excellence: New Europe 2018
Times Higher Education, in partnership with Palacký University Olomouc, would like to invite you to the international l Research Excellence Summit 2018, which will take place in Olomouc, Czech Republic from April 24th–26th, 2018.
Part of the recently-formed Research Excellence series, this summit will engage policy makers, award-winning researchers, investors and education leaders in the key issues relating to higher education in Central Europe.
The theme of the summit is “Research Excellence: New Europe – Building a hub for world-class research”, and will address the challenges and opportunities arising from the rapidly-changing political and economic landscape, with representatives from across Central and Eastern Europe exploring how research institutions can best support growth in the region.
The summit will also host the exclusive launch of the first Times Higher Education rankings of the strength of research universities in the EU13 group of member states.
For details, please visit the official Summit website.
Times Higher Education (THE) conducts one of the world’s most significant university rankings. THE analyses performance data on research, education, global impact and other benchmarks. With almost 50 years of experience, THE provides an invaluable source of expertise for the world’s prestigious universities.
Palacký University Olomouc is the second oldest university in the Czech Republic, educating scholars since the 16th century. Olomouc is also the site of the second largest protected historical monument area in the country. A second home to almost 24 thousand students from all over the world, Olomouc is a genuine university city.
Its eight faculties provide more than 300 study programmes in Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees in the following areas of studies: Theology, Education, Law, Physical Education and Sports, Arts and Humanities, Natural Sciences, Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science. Top-level disciplines include Experimental Medicine, Nanotechnology, Optics, Kinanthropology, and Experimental Physics. Internationally recognized specialities are Special Education, Physiotherapy, and Psychology.
Palacký University is a modern research university. Science and research – their support and development – are its top priorities. Research teams utilise state-of-the-art technologies, and students assist in carrying out scientific research projects. Palacký University Olomouc collaborates with a number of foreign partner institutes.
Palacký University Olomouc is truly international: more than 12% of its students come from abroad. Thanks to various exchange programmes, many students of Palacký University take the opportunity to experience studies abroad. Many foreigners decide to stay in Olomouc, or at least come back regularly. Olomouc is a friendly and welcoming small city.
Olomouc is the fifth largest city in the Czech Republic. It lies right at the heart of Moravia, of which it was formerly the capital. Olomouc is one of the most beautiful towns in Central Europe. The Lonely Planet has ranked Olomouc among the top ten European destinations: “Olomouc is one of the Czech Republic's most under-rated destinations, with a great nightlife scene and a mini-Prague feel.”
For centuries Olomouc was the seat o the Moravian kingdom, and as the natural centre of Moravia it attracted leading artists, scholars and merchants. Its distinguished and diverse past has left the city with a superb collection of historical treasures, making Olomouc the second-largest monument reservation in the country after Prague.
Olomouc is the seat of medieval Palacký University, the second-oldest university in the Czech Republic, established in 1573, the Olomouc Archdiocese, the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as several noteworthy museums, theatres and clubs.
The most famous sights include its Holy Trinity Column – a UNESCO monument, the Astronomical Clock on the front of the Olomouc Town Hall, the group of six baroque fountains and the post-modern Arion Fountain.
The cathedral and palaces on St Wenceslas Hill impress visitors with their one thousand years of history. It was at this historical site, known as the Olomouc Castle, that the last ruler of the Přemyslid dynasty died at the sword, and where a young W. A. Mozart composed his sixth symphony. Amongst the most spectacular places to see are the Archbishop's Palace & Archdiocesan Museum, the magnificent early-Baroque building of the Bishop's Residence and unique museum with a permanent exhibition of visual arts of the Olomouc Archdiocese.
See also: tourism.olomouc.eu/welcome/en
Places to visit
Palacký University historical buildings and gardens
Many of the Palacký University premises are situated in historical buildings from the 16th and 17th centuries:
- The Rector’s Office Building – the former residence of the clergy is now a university administrative building with the Rector’s and Vice-Rector’s offices and a splendid Ceremonial Hall.
- Palacký University Library – a former armoury during the reign of the Empress Maria Theresia, now housing a modern library for students, academics and the general public.
- Palacký University Arts Centre – the former Jesuit Convent, where the prestigious festival of science documentary films Academia Film Olomouc 2018 will be held on April 24–29, 2018. The building has been recently renovated and abounds with beautiful interior Baroque decorations.
- You can also take a walk in the unique historical gardens situated behind the old university buildings on the terraces atop the old town walls.
- Fort Science is a one-of-a-kind centre for the popularisation of science and research in Central Moravia. The centre was created by the renovation of a large four-storey artillery storehouse from the middle of the nineteenth century, located inside the Crown Fortress, a remarkable compound from the times of the Empress Maria Theresa.
- UPoint - Palacký University Shop and Information Centre is not just a University souvenir shop. In addition to postcards, UP branded fashion clothing, publications and stationery, you may stop here for a cup of a good coffee. The premises also functions as an information office – the staff will provide you with interesting facts about the university and the city.
Modern science and research centres of Palacký University
- The Institute of Molecular and Translational Medicine (IMTM) is a technological infrastructure and platform for performing molecular-oriented basic and translational biomedical research. Scientists endeavour to better understand the molecular basis of human infectious diseases and cancer.
- The Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Materials (RCPTM) is a modern centre for research and development of nanomaterials and chemicals that may find application in medicine, biotechnologies, the food industry, and environmental protection. Important results have also been achieved by the RCPTM optics experts, who peer into the world of photons and quantum information processing and explore the mysteries of cosmic radiation.
- The Centre of the Region Haná for Biotechnological and Agricultural Research is a collaborative project of the Faculty of Science at Palacký University and Olomouc branches of the Institute of Experimental Botany at the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and the Crop Research Institute. The Centre scientists employ technologies and devices that are unparalleled in the Czech Republic and even quite rare in European research institutions.
- BALUO Application Centre is a science and technology park focused on research, technology, innovative entrepreneurship and vocational training in the fields of physical activities, prevention of civilization (lifestyle) diseases and promotion of healthy lifestyle. The Centre is equipped with a testing swimming pool with underwater cameras, a ski simulator, a “smart” fitness centre, a climbing wall and a diagnostic studio. Together with the adjacent Centre for Research in Kinanthropology, it provides state-of-the-art facilities for researchers.
Places to visit outside of Olomouc:
- The basilica at Svatý Kopeček
Monumental Baroque pilgrimage church with a two-tower frontage, it is the distinctive landmark of the landscape around Olomouc.
Location: 9 km from Olomouc
- Bouzov Castle
14th century castle reconstructed in Neo-Gothic style in the early 20th century. The castle has been used in a number of film productions (especially fairy tales) for its impressive architecture. The stately interiors of the castle are furnished with valuable historic furniture and old relics of the order of the Teutonic Knights. The dominant room is a pseudo-Gothic Knight Hall. The grand master's bedroom excels in splendid carved furniture and other works of art.
Location: 35 km from Olomouc
Beautiful historical town called the "Athens of Haná", which used to be the summer seat of bishops and archbishops - the Kroměříž Château was their summer residence. The complex formed by the Archbishop’s Château, the Flower Garden and the Château Garden was declared a National Cultural Monument in 1995 and a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1998.
Location: 67 km from Olomouc
THE Summit Venue
The main venue for the lectures, debates, workshops are the auditorium and lecture halls at the Palacký University Faculty of Law, which is situated near the city centre.
Information on accompanying events and social programme locations will be updated.
Accommodation will be provided in the NH HOTEL which offers 137 modern rooms, a restaurant and sports and spa facilities. The hotel was recognized by the Trip Advisor travel portal as “keeping long-term high quality services”.
The hotel is situated few minutes' walk from the inner city. Transport to the Faculty of Law will be provided.
Hosted by the editors of Times Higher Education, the global authority on university excellence, the summit covers two full days of interview, debate and discussion, and networking events including a gala dinner, drinks reception, lunches and social events.
Topics will include:
- Exclusive launch of the new Times Higher Education New Europe University Rankings
- Research and reputation – defining new Europe
- National strategies to support research excellence
- Political protectionism and research universities
- Central Europe – a new destination for global research talent
Detailed programme will be available on the official THE Summit website.
THE SUMMIT OFFICIAL WEB
World Rankings partner
Global media partner
Driving collaboration with our global partners
General university partner